Wednesday, April 2, 2014

On Being A Daymaker

The book that inspired me...  


I was introduced to the concept of being a Daymaker by my older sister.  One visit, she brought me my first copy of this book, and I read it cover to cover in a weekend.  Then I read it again.  And the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to incorporate some of the ideas in this book into my life.  And so I did.  :)

According to David Wagner (author, salon owner, Daymaker), the biggest positive impact on the world can be made through intentional acts of giving, as opposed to random acts of kindness.  While both seriously beneficial, the biggest difference between the two is that a Daymaker looks for opportunities to make someone's day, where random acts are allowed to happen by chance.  Simply setting the intention in the morning of passing on kindness and positivity creates the opening for intentional giving.

The book is divided into sections of the people in your life you can be a Daymaker for- your spouse and children, your extended family, your friends, your co-workers and classmates, the people you interact with in your daily (or weekly or monthly) commute or routines.

Being a Daymaker for my spouse has looked like this...  Picking up a set of DVD's for him to watch during the downswing at work (he is overnight front desk at a hotel).  Grabbing a treat when I am at the grocery store.  Setting aside a portion of a meal that I am making before I add the ingredients I know he doesn't like, or not making some things in the first place.  Encouraging an entrepreneurship in his hobby/interest area of collectible card gaming.

Being a Daymaker for my children has become....  Creating moments for my undivided attention for them.  Including them in decisions for meals.  Encouraging their interests.  Exposing them to nature and the side of life that doesn't happen on the TV screen or with batteries.  Leaving notes for them to find that tell them, "I love you."  Creating for them with my sewing machines and crochet hooks and knitting needles.

Being a Daymaker for my family includes....  Getting us together to spend time together.  Skyping with my family who lives just far enough away, and with different enough schedules to make getting together in person a little more difficult.  Encouraging their interests and hobbies.

Being a Daymaker for my friends and co-workers is....  Asking about and actively listening to how their lives are happening.  Encouraging anyone whose day is made by another to publicly acknowledge the action with a Daymaker Note in the break room.  Contributing to treats to bring up positivity and morale.  Being a listener.

Being a Daymaker for people in my greater circle became...  Wishing people a sincere wonderful rest of the day.  Saying "Thank you"... A lot.  Helping someone with mobility issues (or height issues) reach items on a high shelf at the store.  Allowing an individual to merge or pass in front of me at an intersection.  Paying for the next person at a drive through.  Leaving (or giving) a good tip for a service person.  Becoming involved with Team Briley to fundraise for the CF Foundation.  Perhaps even in writing this blog I am offering someone information or perspective they may need to make their day.

All of these things are relatively small things for me to do, but it took concentration and deliberate effort to include them in my day and routine until they became habit to offer to others.  Being a Daymaker is listening with your heart, and being a link for someone between their dream and the opportunity to realize it.  Maybe your encouragement, listening, or notice will let them get through another day toward their goal.  Perhaps your allowing them to get to an intersection ahead of you will allow them to be prompt for the job interview of their lifetime.

Your positive involvement with the world creates one less space for negativity to grow.

Be the change you want to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment