Wednesday, March 12, 2014

You are What You Eat...

I am so loving that the temperatures are now climbing enough to melt some of this snow that we have stashed... everywhere around here.  It gives me more hope that spring is right around the corner, and we won't have to layer on boots and coats and hats and mittens every time we want to go outside for a while.

It also makes me think about gardening.  I have several tubs of plants started, and I can't wait to get them outside, in their summer homes so we can get the produce from them.  Gardening is one of my favorite things to do, and I am lucky enough that my kids also get enthusiastic about it... for now.  I plan to work hard so they keep that wonder and interest in plants and fresh food, but I guess we will see!  :)

One of the big reasons I love my garden is knowing where what we are eating comes from.  I never was one to really stress about organics and where our food came from, but since I have the space, I sure want to make use of it.  And after looking in to how to set up my gardens, I have learned that I should have more care about our food.

I grew up on garden food- I'm sure my mom knew much more than we thought about the pilfered veggies that we would use as groceries for our outdoor games.  But it was hard to resist the peas, beans, carrots, and tomatoes that were right there just begging to be picked and eaten.  When we were part of a community garden, Little Man had a hard time keeping his fingers out of my garden neighbor's cherry tomatoes...  It's a 'problem' I'm hoping to have one day.  :)  My kids are great veggie eaters, and I hope that they learn to appreciate garden fresh picks.

We also had farm raised meat a lot of the time, and knowing what wasn't in our meat was something that was mentioned frequently in our house.  Now, I am grateful for the opportunity to have meat from the farm to feed my family- because I know what isn't in it.  And the cost savings are definitely another big plus.

I stumbled across the blog 100 Days of Real Food, and began following her posts on Facebook.  She gives some interesting and doable suggestions for eating more intentionally and healthfully.  While I don't follow every suggestion, using some of the information and strategies provided have allowed me to make some better decisions for my family.  We are eating a lot more whole foods (like fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and honey or syrup in place of white sugar) than we used to, and I am definitely putting more thought towards healthier options when I am planning and shopping.

Eating well doesn't have to be an all or nothing endeavor.  You don't have to garden big enough to provide all your own produce- I love the farmers market, and still shop the produce section at my local grocery store.  You don't have to raise your own meat, or even know someone who raises meat animals to get quality meats for your family.  Just being aware of what  you are making available and encouraging a taste for healthful choices sets your whole family on the right track.

Involve the family in making food decisions.  I make a two week menu, then shop for both weeks at once.  Each of the kids gets to pick one meal, and the husband picks a couple as well.  This way, there are a few meals that are family favorites, I pick some new stuff so there is variety and learning about new tastes, and everyone is happy.  Don't be scared to offer your children vegetarian or ethnic cuisine- they may surprise you... Little Man asked for Orange Chicken one week, and gyros have become a favorite of all of us.

Have fun with your food!  Don't stress if your child eats sweets on occasion, or has non-organic fruits and veggies- there are worse things!  And pizza definitely hits several of the food groups, so don't beat yourself up for serving it up.  My biggest lesson in becoming more aware of what we are eating was just that- to be more aware and encourage what I felt was right for my family.

Bon apatite!

No comments:

Post a Comment