Monday, March 10, 2014

Become the Science Kids!

I always took science classes for granted when I was in school myself, and didn't think about it much after I graduated.  It took having children myself, and working with all the wonderful children that I've been able to hang out with for the last several years to really understand the significance of encouraging science exploration for children.

Encouraging science exploration in children is a great way to spark their curiosity, and teach them about learning.  I know it may seem like a silly thing, to have to teach a child about learning.  But it is a process that needs practice for children to become proficient at.  And science is a great way to do so.  :)

Science can be as simple as exploration bottles.  I have several bottles at home for my kiddos, with rice and some small objects for them to find as they roll the bottles.  I took pictures of each of the objects before putting them in the bottles, and putting them on a sheet for them to use as an I  Spy for the bottles.  I make them for the children at work as well.   One has water and a cut up plastic bag that looks like an octopus, another has baby oil and ribbons and sequins in it, and another water with sand and sea shells.  The options are only limited by what you can fit into the bottle.  Pinterest has TONS of great ideas!  (Have I mentioned how much I like Pinterest?)

Plants are another great science tool.  Planting seeds in bags to stick in the window, in cups with children's faces taped to the outside, creating any type of garden that children are encouraged to explore and experience.  I love having my children around our garden. I have started my tomatoes, peppers, and several herbs in pots in the house, and I love watching my kids get excited about watching the plants sprout and grow.  Before we had our house, we joined a community garden so that the kids could have the experience of a garden (and me too!) when we just didn't have the space or ability to have a garden at home.

My kids love to use water to learn and explore.  Measuring, scooping, and pouring are great activities for children to learn.  You can also include snow and ice in water play.  Adding food coloring to spray bottles of water for children to 'paint' the snow.  Freezing small plastic toys in large blocks of ice, and letting children pour warm water on it to get the toys out.

One big thing all of these have in common is that they are activities that require hands on participation by the children.  All of them encourage the children to interact with the materials provided, to have power over what happens.  If you don't shake the sensory bottle, the materials inside just sit there.  They don't shift, move, or mix.   If you don't plant the seeds, they won't grow or develop produce that can be harvested and eaten.  If they don't touch the water, it will just sit there.  And evaporation takes too long for the quantity in a water table to be very interesting for children.  :)

Science is all around us.  Teaching children to notice and enjoy it encourages so many skills that will help them be as successful as possible as they grow.  It can be as simple as asking the right question in the moment or as complex as planning out a long term science project with your child.  The main thing is, again, to be involved yourself.  Anything you are interested in and doing is going to spark your child's interest.  They want to be just like you, to do what you do.  And when you are interested in what they are doing, it makes things so much cooler and more interesting to your child.

Some ideas:
Pinterest Science

No comments:

Post a Comment