Thursday, July 24, 2014

Scientists and Lab Rats (aka. Children and Adults)



I love science.  It is one of my favorite subjects to do with kids- especially since I have started to notice all the science opportunities that are right around us in the world every day.  My kids love to hunt for grasshoppers in our back yard, and watch the ants crawl on the sidewalks, or chase dragonflies and butterflies.  The are always interested in helping when I am working in the garden. They spend hours at our sensory table checking out the beans or rice or pasta that we keep stocked for them. They turn the lights or fans on.  And off.  And on.  And off... Just to see what happens and how long they can do it before they are told to find something else.

The kids at work like to play peek a boo.  They like to roll and shake sensory bottles.  They push over stacks of blocks or cups. They squish paint and sand and feel different fabrics. They pull the diaper cubbies out of the shelves.  They pull on the garbage cans.  Just to see what happens and how long they can do it before they are told to find something else.

I saw this poster on Facebook the other day....

Explorations Early Learning


Now, I know that this says toddlers, and I work with infants. And my kids are in first grade, preschool, and almost preschool.  But trust me, it still applies. They will do things, just to see how you will react.  And to see if you will react the same way this time as you did last time, even if they escalate their behaviors.

I know that the kids at work, and my babies at home, are not doing the things they are doing just to frustrate or upset me.  I know that.  But in the moment, it can be hard to hold on to that certainty. It can feel like a child is resisting a nap a blind person could see they need to pushing away your attempts to care for them.  A child who is pushing or taking toys from another child isn't trying to upset you- or even the other child. A baby crawling or walking or running away when they are told it is time for a diaper or bottle or food isn't saying they aren't hungry or that they don't need a fresh diaper.  

They just want to understand how we work. They want to know that we will be there to help them get the sleep they need, even when they are pushing us away. They want to know how another child will react when they learn to socialize, and in the process are learning how they should act and react as well. They want to know that you will follow through with the care they need- even when it is difficult.*

Remembering that it usually isn't personal has been a huge breakthrough for me.  Knowing that they are working hard to make sense of the world around them, makes it easier for me to remember to not get flustered, to be as consistent as I can for the littles in my care.

Babies are curious learners, and are great at cause and effect.  They are looking at you the way scientists look at the subjects of their experiments, trying to make sense out of confusion. Science is truly great... And all around us.

*Disclaimer:  There are children who will learn that specific actions on their part will stress you out, and may attempt to use that to their advantage. Good luck! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment