Saturday, May 10, 2014

Having a Personal Library

Building a personal library for my children has been a goal of mine for quite some time, and I feel that I am well on my way to accomplishing that for them.  We have so many books for the kiddos to look at and read.  :)  There is always something to catch their eye and attention.

When I was first thinking about having a collection of books for my kids, I thought it would be an expensive and difficult task.  Luckily, it turned out to be pretty easy- and very cost effective too.  Here are some of the things I learned...

1.  Utilize your local library.  Seriously, I think our library is one of our favorite sources for books.  Not just the ones you can check out and return, but we have gotten so many books that we can keep and return to for pennies!  One time, I went in and our Friends of the Library group was having a book sale.  Everything I could fit into a grocery bag for $2.  We had brought in a reusable shopping bag (LOVE those- they hold so much more than the plastic or paper ones), and we were able to fill it almost overstuffed- for $2.  We probably had 50 books in there, and only went through one table of books that were available.

But, using your local library for the books you check out and return is a great way to continuously provide fresh reading material for your family, with little to no cost to yourself.  Check them out!  Many have a section dedicated to children, and have exploration areas for them to experience while you are there.

2.  Garage sales.  Gently used children's books are another great way to pick up stock for your library.  Many times, they are in great shape, and you can get them for 5-50 cents.  Super cheap!

3.  Friends whose children have outgrown books that are at the level(s) your child(ren) need.  Host a book swap with friends, or let your friends with children know that you are interested in books that their children are finished with and need a new home.  Then, share the gift by passing them along when your children outgrow them.  :)

4.  Book vendors (like Scholastic and Usborne Books).  Between school and daycare, my kids get about 6-10 book order forms each month.  I love getting these!  I know that the books available from some vendors can be less sturdy than ones that you can buy from the store, but they are still a great way to build up the materials you have on hand.  And the sturdier ones are always a great investment, as those are the ones that can be saved and passed on.

5.  Let your friends and family know that books are always an appropriate gift for your child- as well as the reading level and topics that interest your child.  I know that there are many baby showers and birthday parties that are requesting books for the child as opposed to a card or other gift.  While this is a great way to build up a collection of family favorites, it is easy to end up with lots of duplicates.  Finding a way to share a list of books that would interest and challenge your child is one way to help minimize this.

There are so many great reasons to read with your child.  (Find a few of them here!)  But my favorite is the time that I get to spend with my babies, snuggled up, and (now) hearing them read to me.  There are times when I was just so tired, and didn't want to take the time.  But making the effort regularly is just so worth it.  These become moments that are cherished, by all of you.  Don't wait- start the habit of reading and enjoying time together with books today.

No comments:

Post a Comment