Monday, December 26, 2016

Trying out a book review

I so love learning, especially about being a mom and a teacher.  So many of the things I've learned apply so much to both aspects of my life, and it's great to be able to practice what I learn in so many settings.  If  I had to pick on thing that I miss from being a college student, it would be the deep levels of learning that I got to do.  The papers, the studying, the tests, not so much.  :)

I recently purchased The 5 Love Languages of Children, by Gary D. Chapman and Ross Campbell, and read it on breaks at work.  It was a great one to leave on site and pick up when I had those few spare minutes that I needed to fill.  And it was great to be able to read a bit, and immediately put some of the information I read into practice on my work littles.


The short review of this book is that everyone has a love language- a way that they feel and receive love from others that impacts them the most, and allows them to feel loved in a way that other ways don't touch.

The love languages are words of affirmation, acts of service, receiving gifts, physical touch, and quality time. There is a chapter devoted to each love language, with suggestions about using the particular language to speak love to your child, and testimonials from parents and children who have benefited form the information contained in this book. There is also information on learning about the love languages, using them in discipline (NOT to be confused with punishment), using the love languages in single parent families, and a chapter on love languages in marriage and committed relationships.

I loved reading this book, and being able to use its suggestions to make sure my kids (at home, at work, and at church) know how much I love and value them.  There are many suggestions, ranging from easy, everyday ideas to big moments that take some planning to carry out.  

If you are struggling to know how to show your kiddos (and others in your life!) the love you feel for them, this book is a great place to start.  Saying "I love you" looses its impact quickly if it is not followed by the actions that SHOW the recipient that you mean them. You can say the words until you are blue in the face, but if you don't SHOW it, it is meaningless.  


No comments:

Post a Comment